Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The saga continues...

 So, I did decide to reply to the email the commander’s wife sent me:
“Thank you so much for your generous invitation! I apologize for the delay in my reply, but I am 37 weeks pregnant, so we've had a lot going on. It would be nice to see you again, since we did not get to chat much at the Christmas party and I have been in and out of town quite a bit over the last few months. Thankfully,I have close friends in the squadron who have been doing a wonderful job of keeping me in the loop during the busy season for my job, as well as my travels. Unfortunately, I have a doctor's appointment on the aforementioned date and will not be able to make it to the coffee. Thank you again for the invitation and it was nice to hear from you!

I won’t post her full response, but it basically requested my information again, so she could add me to the roster for emails (um… isn’t that what we’re doing now? Why is my cell necessary?). It also stated that I should join their FB group to stay up to date on information and that they would like to coordinate baby meals for me. Additionally, this was included: “If I recall I think I heard that you didn’t have the best experience in a previous spouse’s group? If that is the reason you have been hesitant to participate with I would appreciate you giving us a chance. We have a great group of ladies and would love for you to be active in our socials.

She knows that I didn’t love the previous spouse organization but she does not know details. While it’s a nice idea, I was going to mention that I will have family visiting when the baby is born (which is true), so I will be well taken care of.  I don’t mind the social aspects and it could be helpful with a baby, but I don’t want to have to “report in” while my husband is away in the future. I’m also not sure about joining the FB page. Mine is on private, so I don’t think they could see anything, but you never know… I was thinking of giving them my home phone (Which I use mostly for work and rarely answer), but I'm not sure about the address.

I am currently working on a response, but I welcome any advice :)

2 comments:

  1. shun them, shun them all.
    i'm not at all familiar with military spouse organizations but it seems like you are being bullied into joining, everywhere you go.
    your husband joined the military, you didn't

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably just wouldn't respond at all. I've had luck with some organizations but some have been too clique-ish for me. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete