Monday, January 24, 2011

The Wives

People who know me well, know I'm not friends with many other military wives. It's nothing personal, we just don't mesh well together. It's not a female thing either. I am a sorority girl and I work on a team with almost 60 women. I don't have a problem getting along with girls... I'm not sure what it is, but no matter what I do, I only have a few friends who are also military wives.

It could be...
- Because I don't have children. A lot of military families have them. There's nothing wrong with this, I love kids and want them someday, but I have my reasons for waiting. I've had women walk away mid- conversation when I told them I don't have kids. I am not kidding. There's a story I'll share later.

- Because I'm quick to disagree with the way the military does things. The others seem to have the "This is what you signed up for" mentality. It's fine, but I don't remember signing up for anything.

- Because I don't like "reporting in." Yes, I am a civilian, but when my husband is gone, they make me check in. When I politely declined they threatened to call local law enforcement. Seriously? I don't mind being told what to do by my employer... but I don't work for the Military.

- Because I'm not Suzy Homemaker. I cook and keep my house clean, but that's not my primary objective in life. I travel a lot and my husband is fine with that. More than once women have asked me, "but who cooks for your husband when you're gone?" (I assume this is not the norm, but it's definitely happened to me.)

- Because I don't know what to say when someone invites me to Bible study. I prefer to worship in my own private way... Plus most Bible study groups don't like Catholics. I always get invited to bible study and I always get a weird face from people when I tell them my religion. Being Catholic does have it's perks, though... they usually don't try to "save" me.

- Because I'm being difficult... Yes, I have thought that maybe it's me... but then I think about the incredible women who are my friends and co-workers... I get along with them just fine.

- Because I can never say the right thing. I usually don't have a problem with words, and sometimes I'm even funny but these people always look at me like I'm Peg Bundy or something.

I have a lot of stories I'll share, since stories about the other wives are always requested from my friends, but this is just a little background information.

2 comments:

  1. No one who ever joined the Air Force or any other branch knew exactly what they were signing up for. It's a rather successful recruiting strategy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. since you actually plan to have kids you could always try "not yet..." and make a sad face. they might assume that you are trying and then it will be an awkward subject that they don't want to touch. hehe. you know me, when people try to make me feel uncomfortable, i do it right back to them.
    really looking forward to reading more in the future.
    oh, and if you can get along with my opinionated, anti organized religion, loud mouthed self - then it's clearly their issue, not yours

    ReplyDelete