Monday, April 25, 2011

Say what?

Here’s another funny story that happened to me. Please note, this is not political, it’s just another one of the random things I’ve experienced here. This story tends to be a little more humorous when I actually tell it, so I’m hoping it will be ok written, as well. Again, I know most military spouses are not like this, but this is just one of those weird moments.

I grew up singing in choirs and I was a theatre major (another thing military people don’t always get, but that’s another entry entirely). I have also worked for the same company since I was 16 and they provide same sex domestic partnership benefits. These things all add up to me having quite a few gay friends. It’s never something that was weird to me, possibly because I was around it so much, but it never just occurred to me that some people didn’t grow up like I did. The funny part is, I come from a conservative, Irish Catholic family, and it’s never been an issue. In my mind, a good friend is just that, the other stuff doesn’t matter.

I have found a few friends here who are very open minded… but I’ve also seen a few over my years as a military wife, who are not. One of my favorite shows is Rent. It came out when I was in high school and we were all obsessed with it for a while. When it closed on Broadway, they showed the final live performance in local movie theatres. I made the mistake of mentioning this at one of the few spouse outings I went to here. I think someone mentioned that they loved musicals, and this is how the conversation went.

Me: Oh, well if you love musicals, the final performance of Rent is going to be playing at the movie theatre. I was planning to go, if you want.
Her: (with a slightly appalled look) Um, isn’t that the show with (looks around) gay people in it? (And I kid you not, she mouthed the word gay rather than actually saying it.)
Me: (trying to decide if she is serious) well, yeah, some of the characters are, but it’s a really great show.
Her: yeah, but I heard there are (again mouthing the word) gay things that happen in it.
Me: (I just stared at her thinking, oh, for the love! Is this chick for real?)
Her: Sorry, I think I’d rather see Wicked or something.

Needless to say, I found someone else to go with me. I was seriously thinking, though, if there ever was a face palm moment, this is it! Wow. Who knew that was a dirty word? I wanted to tell her that half the performers in any musical are probably gay, but I think that might have blown her mind too much. It was also this same spouse who was asking me for tips for her Florida trip and I realized she had scheduled it for the week of Gay Days in Orlando… That was a fun conversation.

Another time, I was talking with someone else about a restaurant called Hamburger Mary’s. If you’re not familiar with this chain, they serve great burgers in a fun atmosphere. Sometimes there is also a drag show and your bill always comes in a high heel shoe. She asked what I did that weekend and I explained I went out to celebrate a friend’s birthday at there.

Her: Ohhh, I’ve heard of that place, it’s like an alternative lifestyle restaurant, right?

Really? I refrained from even asking what on earth she meant by “alternative lifestyle,” because I was pretty sure the answer would be absolutely ridiculous.

Again, I know this is not the case with most of the spouses. It’s just another one of my random encounters. I’m proud of my friends for being who they are and I wouldn’t have it any other way. They’re the best friends a girl could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment