Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It's that time of year again...

When you grow up in Florida, there are no snow days from school. There are, however, hurricane days. In 29 years, I’ve lived through more hurricanes than I can remember. There were 3 in 2004, alone. It’s something you get used to.

While hurricanes are definitely something you should take seriously, I notice people who aren’t used to them, tend to really panic over them. The good news is, you can be prepared and if you live near a coastal community, chances are your local weather authorities will know well in advance when a hurricane is coming. This gives you time to prepare or evacuate the area. I’ve found it’s better to be a little prepared in advance, though, because when a warning is issued, the stores are packed with people buying water and batteries.

At our current base, hurricanes are possible (a major storm devastated one beach community about 45 minutes from here years ago), but they don’t happen nearly as often as they do in Florida. So every year, about this time, I start getting the emails saying I need to give the spouse organization my contact information and evacuation plans in the event of a hurricane. Then, with every storm (doesn’t matter if it’s a hurricane, tropical storm or tropical depression) I start to get panicked emails and phone calls from the spouse organization about the “hurricane”. As a side note, there is quite a difference between a tropical depression, tropical storm, and a hurricane; but the spouse organization insists on calling them all hurricanes. This bothers me because I feel the improper nomenclature here causes somewhat unnecessary panic.

I also start getting badgering calls that I need to “report in.” These are usually at an ungodly hour on a weekend whether the “hurricane” has hit here or not. Sometimes they are even when a hurricane has hit multiple states away, which I don’t get.

In Florida, while we take these things seriously, we also find ways to have fun. It’s not uncommon for some Floridians to look forward to throwing a hurricane party. Usually this means “hunkering down” with friends at someone’s house who you know doesn’t lose power or water during a major storm. Someone always thinks to bring some kind of adult beverage, as well.  In Key West, the locals don’t even evacuate for a storm because the roads would be too crowded getting out of there. They get the tourists out and prepare for the storm.

Once, the “lead spouse” was panicking about a tropical storm (that she kept calling a hurricane and never actually hit. We didn’t even get rain bands from it.). I made the joke that in Florida we have hurricane parties and all you need is a little rum for a good hurricane. To which she replied that I should take things more seriously. It was at this moment that I chose not to quote “it’s five o’clock somewhere” and ask what Jimmy Buffett would do... Although, I have a feeling I know what he would do. Maybe I should take things more seriously, but I just don’t see any reason to cause unnecessary panic. There’s a difference between prepared and panicked.

3 comments:

  1. jimmy buffet would never run out of rum during hurricane season. really? they even notice that tropical depressions are happening? in florida AND north carolina people only notice a tropical depression during a drought when they WANT it to hit so it'll cool off and put out the wildfires.
    i find that in NC, even with the hurricanes hitting our coast more often than florida [the gulf stream doesn't keep them away] people don't freak out either. the closer to the coast, the taller the houses are built off the ground.
    no parties though, which is sad.

    heck, i lose power during major storms but being a former floridian i know to keep my flashlights accessible and my batteries in good shape, and all that other stuff.

    can you assign the other wives a ring tone that you can sleep through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get to deal with tornados in Oklahoma. I've never gone through one so I imagine I'll be slightly panicked when the first one hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having grown up in FL and been in Orlando with you during the horrible 2004 hurricanes I can honestly say... GIve me a hurricane any day but keep these freaking tornadoes. When you move you will become part of the Tornado Alley. Yes, believe it or not AL and MS are in the south end of it. Living in Tuscaloosa through the horrible April 27th Tornado I can tell you, hurricanes are easy. There is plenty of warning and yes, you can have a party. With a Tornado it just shows up out of no where and crushes everything.

    Oh, BTW, if you have another crazy head spouse just tell her you are going to Tuscaloosa in the event of a Hurricane/ Tornado. I'm sure she'll love that one. ;)

    ReplyDelete