Monday, July 11, 2011

Not a Domestic Diva

I will never be Suzy Homemaker. I’ve always known that. I love Martha Stewart, but I don’t have the kind of patience needed for some of those projects.

 Rather than a frilly, pretty apron, mine is black and says, “We all have to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.” I’m a pretty good cook, not necessarily a great cook, but some things I do really well. My sour cream pound cake (a recipe from my grandmother) is legendary among our family and friends during the holidays. I don’t really even like pound cake, but it’s that good. Honestly, though, sometimes it’s just easier to make a package of break and bake cookies or pick up a pie from Publix. (The best grocery store bakery. Ever.) I don’t plan out a week’s worth of meals in advance because sometimes I’ll find I’m just not in the mood for what I’ve planned to make. My house is always clean, but sometimes can get a little messy. I think that’s how most people are, though.

I have noticed that quite a few other military wives love to show off their skills, and some of them have a really good reason to. I’ll never forget the day another military couple we knew asked us over to grill out. I don’t remember what we were having, but it was pretty standard grill fare and a few sides. Since I was a guest, I thanked the couple and complimented them on the meal.

To this, my husband thanked them also and added, “we’ll have to have you all over sometime.” Then the wife of the other couple looked at my husband sympathetically and said to me in a sweet voice, “You know, Lindsey, if you want I can show you my easy cookbooks.”

Seriously? What do you even say to that?

I was so taken aback at that comment I didn’t know what to say. I wanted to tell her that she had obviously not had the pleasure of trying my pound cake… But instead I added in an equally sweet tone, “Oh, thank you! I actually have quite a few easy cookbooks of my own at home.”

I may not be a domestic diva, but I do have some skills. What can I say? I like to keep people guessing :)

3 comments:

  1. how bitchy! the appropriate response to being invited over and having doubts about the hosts' cooking skills is to offer to bring something.
    and you're an intelligent adult with the power of the internet at your fingertips. if you want to figure out how to cook something, all you have to do is google it.
    or ask me for one of my crazy ass recipes. i bet if you make fried bleu cheese apple pocket pies for you, not only will she be too stunned to comment, YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO HEAR FROM HER AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe sounds amazing, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was pretty good but i think i need to tweak it and use apple juice to make the dough instead of water. heighten the apple flavor. the bleu cheese overpowered the apples.
    also it has walnuts.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/catastrophegirl/sets/72157626479911092/

    ReplyDelete